Last Updated on June 12, 2021
What is GST Registration
In the GST Regime, businesses whose turnover exceeds Rs. 40 lakhs is required to register as a normal taxable person. This process of registration is called GST registration.
However, in certain businesses, registration under GST is mandatory. For example, suppose the organization runs a business without registering under GST. In that case, it will be an offence, and heavy penalties would be levied. GST registration usually takes between 2-6 working days.
GST Registration Process
Here is the step-by-step procedure to complete GST registration:
- Firstly visit the GST portal – https://www.gst.gov.in.
- Then click on the ‘Register Now’ link, which you will find under the ‘Taxpayers’ tab.
- After that, Select ‘New Registration’
- Now fill in all the details mentioned on the page.
- Firstly under the ‘I am a’ drop-down menu, select ‘Taxpayer’.
- Then select the respective state and district.
- After that, enter the name of the business.
- Then enter the PAN of the business.
- Lastly, enter the active Email ID and Mobile Number.
- Then click on ‘Proceed’.
- On the next page, enter the OTP that was sent to the email ID and mobile number you mentioned on the last page.
- Once you have filled in all the required details, click on ‘Proceed’.
- Now, the Temporary Reference Number (TRN) will appear on the screen. Please make a note of it.
- Revisit the GST portal and click on ‘Register’ under the ‘Taxpayers’ menu.
- Select ‘Temporary Reference Number’ (TRN).
- Enter the TRN and the captcha details.
- Click on ‘Proceed’.
- Now, on the next page, you will see the status of your application. On the right side, there will be an Edit icon; click on it.
- After that, there will be 10 sections on the next page. All the relevant details must be filled in, and above all, submit the necessary documents as below. The list of documents that must be uploaded are mentioned as below:
- Business Address Proof.
- Bank details such as account number, bank name, bank branch, and IFSC code.
- Authorization form.
- The constitution of the taxpayer.
- Visit the “Verification” page and check the declaration, then submit the application by using one of the below-mentioned methods:
- By Electronic Verification Code (EVC): You will receive the code on the registered mobile number.
- By e-Sign method: You will receive an OTP on the mobile number linked to the Aadhaar card.
- Once completed, it will show a success message on the screen. After that, you will receive the Application Reference Number (ARN) on the registered mobile number and email ID.
- And lastly, you can check the status of the ARN on the GST portal.
Documents Required for GST Registration
- PAN Card.
- Aadhaar Card.
- Proof of business registration or incorporation certificate.
- Identity proof, business address proof, and photographs.
- Bank Account statements.
- Digital Signature.
- Letter of Authorization/Board Resolution for Authorized Signatory
GST Registration Documents For Partnerships And LLP
- Partnership Deed
- Photographs of partners involved
- Pan Cards of partners involved
- Aadhaar Cards of partners involved
- Address proof of partners involved
- Signatory’s proof of appointment
- LLP proof of registration
- Business principal address proof
- Bank details